Monday, April 14, 2008

Stressed Out Mom

I was at the mall today, looking for outfits to wear to the many (4) weddings we have this summer. I was lucky enough to go by myself. I hire my 19-year old niece to come over and babysit the girls every other Monday so I can go to appointments or run errands or just have some time to myself. Anyway, while I was at the mall, inside a store I heard a little boy (had to have been around 3 years old) saying to his Mom that he was tired and wanted to go home. It was after 1pm, so who knows how long they had been there. The Mom said that they were not going home and the little boy threw a tantrum. We've all been there, right?? The Mom picked up the little boy and yelled and screamed at him calling him an idiot and saying "I hate you, I hate you.....I hate you, I hate you, I hate you." I could not believe my ears. I was just shaking! Do I mind my own business and not saying anything or should I say something? Well, for that little boys sake, I said something. I said to the lady, "M'am, that's not neccessary. I completely understand that you are stressed....I have two little ones at home myself, but that isn't what we should be saying to our children. That will have an effect on him for a long time." She said that she doesn't ever get to get out of the house. I told her that I understood, I was actually out on a rare occasion without my kids, but just because we are frustrated and stressed out, we should never use those words with our children. She just rolled her eyes at me and walked away.

I wasn't trying to get into a confrontation with her. I was trying to be empathetic and understanding to her situation, yet help out that poor little boy. I hope that she thinks about what she says to her child the next time she is frustrated. I've been at my wits end with my kids. I've had to call my husband at 4:30pm and say "I'm done....Your turn!!!" I think we have all had those days. Just remember....words are like nails in a fence. You can hammer nails into a fence and then take the nails out, but you will still have holes in the fence. You can say nasty words to a loved one and say I'm sorry, but you have still left emotional marks on them. I'm NOT a perfect mother by any means. I've yelled at my kids and the heat of the moment being frustrated and having lack of sleep, but have never used words like I heard today. I'm not trying to preach to you, but I just wanted to share my story with you today in hopes that if you hear someone saying/doing unacceptable things to a child, that you would step out of your comfort zone and say something....for the sake of the child.

Okay, I'm off my soap box now. I just felt that I had to say something...again, our blogs are our outlets...craft and other life things. I have been bothered by this all day and can't stop thinking about it, so now that I have said my peace, hopefully I can resume my day :) Thanks for listening.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You were right to say something. I was out walking with my children and my first husband one afternoon when the kids were very little. A neighbor and her children joined us. At one point a big truck approached us and the mother said to one of her children. "Jump _____, Jump" At first I thought I missheard her until she repeated it again. My exhubby and I just stared at each other in disbelief. When the truck passed she swore and then said "Great, there goes another opportunity" A short time later we were contacted by the husbands lawyer asking if we had ever observed her mistreating or threatening any of her children. We had to tell him what we had heard her say. I wish we had of told the husband sooner but we both thought maybe she was joking or just having a rough day. Apparently it was more than that!

Anonymous said...

Wow...I give you credit for saying something to her! Good for you! I can't tell you the amount of time I've heard a mother say something or watch a mother treat a child a certain way and I never, ever said a word. Then it sits with me the rest of the day hoping that nothing happened to that child.

Its a shame that mother just basically brushed you off. You were trying to help her understand that she wasn't alone.

Melissa