I think I am going to throw in the towel and just start to buy Depends for Emerson! I don't think she'll ever be potty trained! Strong willed child + potty training = frustrated Mommy!!! We started training Emerson over a year ago when we moved into the apartment while our new house was being built. I figured I didn't care if she peed on their carpet! Then she was sick for a couple of week, which put things on hold. Then shortly after that, I got put on bedrest which meant potty training was being put off until a later date. After Camryn arrived, we figured we would give Emerson some time to get acclaimated to all the new changes and when summer came, we'd give it a shot again. We tried everything.....putting her in panties so she could feel herself get wet, get stickers on the potty chart and get to go to a park, Potty Pennies (get a penny for going pee-pee and two pennies for going poo in the potty), bribing with candy, TV, the computer.....you name it, we tried it. Finally the pediatrician said to put the diapers back on her and enjoy what was left of the summer. Well, she's now 3 and in my mind, it's about time. She knows how to do it and CAN do it, but she just chooses not to. After 4 wet panties/pants today, I had HAD IT! The diapers were going back on. She really wants to go to school, which we could do a second semester preschool starting in January, but if she doesn't get out of those darn diapers, she's going to be home FOREVER! I'm not prepared to homeschool! AAGGHHHHH! I know it is totally a control thing and they will do it in their own time, but it's just getting old. Okay, I digress. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.
Wednesday, October 10, 2007
Potty Talk & Pumpkins
Posted by
Kelley
at
7:40 PM
Labels: Misc. Ramblings, Pictures
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
Oh Kelley. . .I FEEL YOUR PAIN! We tried with Savannah for well over a year! NOTHING worked with her, nothing! I even read this book and had a whole "Potty Party" for her with the doll and everything the book said. . .NOPE! It wasn't until this summer (when she was 3 1/2!) that she got the peeing down and we had a MAJOR issue with the poo! Anyway, I was sweating it out because she was due to start preschool in September and she was ALREADY starting late because her birthday was after the Sept 1 cutoff, so she'd be turning 4 going to school with 3 year olds! Anyway, I don't know what happened, what clicked in her brain, but she just decided one day to do it! We haven't had an accident or a problem since. In fact, she hasn't even worn pull ups to bed and no accidents in the 3-4 months since she "made her decision!" All of this to say that I, like you, thought she would NEVER be potty trained and when I stopped "pushing" the issue, it just happened. I hope it works that way for you. . .and soon! I understand your frustration!
Kelley--I lived your life just a short 14 years ago. We worked on potty training Beth at the time and using recommended methods (several it turned out) all to no avail. Beth would sit on teh toilet for 30 minutes then go out and pee in front of the stereo. We were sweating the pre-school issue as well. In August before preschool started I was planning on visiting Grandma in another state with Beth and her baby brother. We were leaving directly from a 90th birthday party for my husband's grandmother and had decided that if Beth wasn't potty-trained by that time she would stay home with Dad. It was a hard decision but we were fairly sure that she could use the toilet just chose not to. When the day arrived Beth announced that she would be wearing panties to Great-grandma's party and we anxiously agreed to it. She was trained from that day forward! I did go to Grandma's without her (my husband took a couple of days off work to stay home with her) but because she was doing so well met my husband at a halfway point, picked her up and she got to visit Grandma too.
With my second child we didn't even try to introduce potty-training. An opportunity introduced itself (there was a toy he wanted) and I asked if he wanted to try it, if he learned to use the toilet I'd buy him the toy and he was trained in a day. Sooo much less stress! And boys are harder to train!?! Not in my house! Lol!
I'm sure this will all be an amusing memory someday (as my story is to us now). Good luck and try to relax.
Kelley-I should mention that Beth was almost 3-1/2 when she finally was officially trained. Although the "experts" say a child should be trained by a certain age or friends say their child was trained at a certain age, it isn't a formula for each child. Beth is a bright young woman now (#4 in her class of 650), has been potty trained for many years, and was surely smart enough to figure it out earlier---she just wasn't ready.
Post a Comment